Friday, July 18, 2008

The flower beds and veggie gardens are doing great this year. Chuck and Pat and I have really worked hard in the last couple years to build up the flower beds in the front yard. We re-did the planter between the two front doors last summer, and that led to many other projects in sprucing up the front yard. It looks so nice now, with everything in bloom. I love being out there in the early evening as the day cools off, just watering the flowers, or dead-headding the spent blossoms, mostly just enjoying the beauty of each plant.

I just did that very thing, except I had the camera with me, so I could share the flowers and plants with you! Here are some of our roses blooming this afternoon:



And the coreopsis and verbena in the big planter outside Pat's front door. I love the contrast of the purple and yellow flowers. The other plant is vinca that's spilling over the edge, it has a nice grayish tone to the leaves which looks good with the dark foilage of the moonbeam coreopsis.
In the back yard, Pat has several big pots full of brightly colored petunias and geraniums, they are in their full summer glory right now, and attract lots of butterflies into the yard.


My herb garden is growing well this year. Basil, peppermint, catnip, parsley, and some marigolds because they keep the bad insects away, while attracting the beneficial ones. I had radishes in the empty squares, but they were harvested last week. And the lettuce in the lower right corner is looking like it's next to go. yum!
The big zucchini plants are starting to produce. We've had zucchini for dinner, and I've given a few away, and I think I'll be making zucchini bread this weekend. Anyone interested in some delicious zucchini? Just let me know- I've got plenty!!

I took a bunch more photos, but Chuck and Pat want to go to dinner now, so this will have to do. I'll post again soon! :)

3 comments:

  1. Seriously - I think you need to come out and give me some greenery tips -- I've got a brown thumb - not a green one! We've not even been able to keep our stupid petunia's alive this summer. I just have NO luck w/plants and keeping them alive. Beautiful flowers guys! I'm sure they are even better in person and smell just wonderful. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures. I'm not doing a garden this year, and I've let my flower patch go too. I'm going to do a lot better next year. There's just something therapeutic about making pretty things out of dirt, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words. I have always loved growing things, even when I lived the apartment life, I always had pots of flowers on my balcony. One of my favorite things about living here in the duplex is the big big yard I get to grow things in. It's not perfect, and I still have plenty of plants that die! I've lost about a dozen so far this year, including marigolds which I thought were impossible to mistreat!

    ReplyDelete