Monday, April 6, 2009

It must still be Winter...

...because the Canada Geese are still hanging out in our front yard!

It's fun to watch them splash around in the snow melt by the street.

Chukani took Keena for walks around the big park down the street a couple times a week throughout this past winter, and at times we would see flocks of several hundred geese at once, hanging out on the flat grassy areas. Lately it's only been a few dozen at a time. So I think a good portion of the Canada Goose population has already started their trek back home for the year. But with all the snow we've seen in the last several weeks... I'm hoping they don't decide to linger too long.

The birdseed feeders in our front yard are certainly attracting more than just the little finches and songbirds I was expecting. In addition to the aforementioned geese, we get woodpeckers coming to visit, a few pigeons now and again, and even a couple neighborhood squirrels who climb the pole and shake the feeders to get at the bird seed and sunflower seeds. Those squirrels are little rascals!

I do enjoy the Canada Geese coming to visit, except for when they decide to lay down in the flower beds out by the street. Pat and I planted tons of bulbs there last fall, and I don't want the tulips and daffodils to get squashed by a goose-tush, if ya know what I mean.





These pics are from a couple Fridays ago while I was home from work. One of the geese was a bit territorial about "his" puddle and was chasing everyone away that tried to come near.

Here he is enjoying his private bath:



And here he is sqwaking at a possible interloper!


I was standing pretty close watching the geese toodle around, and none of them seemed to mind me at all. Now, that's not to say that I would ever actually approach one of them, as I've seen how fast they can move, and I have no intention of getting bitten, or... (oh, you know it's coming...) GOOSED! hahaha

Sorry, that was a bit corny I know, but someone had to do it.

As I was wandering around outside for the goose photo-shoot, I saw that the kids across the street had built a little snow man (more of a snow-mound with eyes and a hat!) since the snow was so wet and heavy. Then I saw that our next-door neighbor decided to take the inspiration and go a little farther...



His snow monster was enormous! I think eventually he had a nice colorful hat on the snowman's head, and created a little friend by his side as well. I didn't have my camera with me for the final art installment, and unfortunately (luckily?!) the snowman didn't last more than a day under the Colorado sunshine.
Easter is next weekend, so Spring can't be too far away... I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment