Wednesday, April 15, 2009

News Update

I haven't posted much the last few days, but never fear my dear readers, I did keep my camera handy, and I have lots to share.

Keena wasn't feeling very well last week. We thought maybe she had eaten something- she was very lethargic and not eating, but throwing up a lot (and other unmentionables!)

If you've met Keena, you'll know that she is pretty much known for her energy, so believe me when I tell you it's an extremely noticeable difference when she's not feeling good. So after a day or so with no improvement, Keena and Chuck went to visit her vet. The doc was very nice and tested a few things to determine that it wasn't anything serious, but there was some bacteria present in her stool sample. So with a shot to control nausea, and some meds to go, she and Chuck headed back home.

She perked up within a couple hours, and started eating again soon after. We fed her a bland diet of rice, ground beef, and pumpkin for a few days (makes hospital food look pretty good, eh?!) and now she's back to jumping, playing, and howling like a banshee. Next on the agenda for her is a bath, like the one she got a few weeks ago:

In other news...

I have always been a "do your taxes as soon as possible after Jan 31st" kind of girl. However, Chuck is the exact opposite. Hopefully, by the time this blog is posted, we will have e-filed and be done with it. But yikes! April 15th is already here! It kinda bugs me to wait so long...I worry about what if we're getting money back... what if we owe... I need to know and make a plan! :) Can you tell I like things planned out a bit more than most folks? (thanks, Dad, I get that from you.)

Especially with the economic situation Chukani have been in lately (since his contract work is not steady yet), I admit I've been worried about having to owe taxes, and where the funds might be coming from. But I've really been trying to NOT worry about things so much, and give that worry to God and just make sure I'm doing what I need to do now, and not worrying about the what-ifs. So I finally convinced Chuck to tackle our taxes Monday. And lo and behold- We DON'T owe anything, in fact we'll be getting a modest refund for the first time in 3 years of filing jointly. Yippee! Praise God. At every point in the last few months that I think we won't be able to make it, things are just too tight- God has provided in one way or another and we have been blessed again and again.

Speaking of blessings, Chukani spent a lovely evening last Thursday celebrating 4 years of marriage. We kept things pretty low key, just exchanging cards, but he had some beautiful flowers for me as well.


One of Chuck's sweet relatives had sent us some $$ for a nice dinner out, so we went to a really good Japanese restaurant in town, Kobe An. We've enjoyed going there on dates over the past few years, and even ate there with a bunch of snow-stranded friends in the wedding party the night after we got married! So it's a special place for us, and we enjoyed some delicious sushi:


Our waitress even talked us into trying their chocolate lava cake dessert. It was very rich and chocolatey!

We did get each other an anniversary gift this year actually, Chukani bought a new bible last weekend. Chuck picked out the NIV Archeological Study Bible, and we both really like it. The gal at Family Christian Stores did a good job putting our names on the cover. I have to tell you that Chuck's Grandma Mary Keller used to do the bible engraving at a Christian bookstore, so I had to laugh when both Chuck and Pat were a bit critical of the workmanship... both saying it was slightly crooked, and Grandma would never had sold that. :) But I think it's beautiful.

Chuck wanted to get a cover to keep the bible safe, and we looked around for a bit, not finding anything that really looked good in our price range.

Then we noticed this one- with the verse that has really claimed our lives these past few months. (And my Wednesday bible study focused on this verse the first week as well, so it's doubly important to me.) I knew it was the right cover, and it fit the new bible (which is awfully thick!) like a glove. yeah!
Which leads me to last weekend... Did you have a good Easter? Hope so!

Ours was rainy and cold outside, but blessed and warm inside! Chukani colored our Easter eggs Saturday night, and then Sunday morning we made it to the 8am (wow that's early) service at church. The heater hadn't quite had enough time to warm the sanctuary, so I had to keep my coat on over my Easter dress...brr.

We came home and made buttermilk pancakes with homemade strawberry syrup, and what a sugary, yummy way to start the day.

Later on, Chukani and Pat went over to Bill and Diana Robbins' house for Easter lunch. Bill (jr), Donna and little David were there too, and it was very nice spending the afternoon with them. Di cooked a fantastic brisket, Donna made some amazing cheesy mashed potatoes, and after a hearty lunch, we relaxed while David played with his Easter basket of toys and goodies. While he napped, the grown-ups played Mexican Train Dominoes and it was a blast.

The rain was kind of disappointing because I was looking forward to a sunny Spring day, but truly, rain was very needed here in Denver. And now the grass is nicely greening up and our daffodils are beginning to bloom. So as Chuck says, "it's all good."

Here's Chuck hard at work with the egg dyeing:


And me with some of the finished product. I have to admit several of these pretty eggs turned into Deviled Eggs the next day, which is my personal favorite way to eat a hard boiled egg!
This coming weekend I am going to New Mexico to visit Jen. We are going to go shopping, play tourists, and check out this spot for sure. I'll have access to email and fb, but I won't probably post to the blog until I get back next week, so check back soon.

The weekend after that, Chuck and Pat are both headed to Utah for the weekend. Pat's nephew Orson (we know him as SAM though!) :) is being commissioned into the Air Force and family is gathering from far and wide to honor the occasion. I am so sorry to have to miss it, but I can't take any more time off from work right now... so Chuck and Pat will have to hug and kiss everyone for me! I know you Hartogs/Porters will have a great time!

Ok, I think you're all caught up on the latest news from our side of the mountains. Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have kept very busy!

    I'm sorry to hear we won't be seeing you for the commissioning! We'll have to pop over to Colorado to see you!

    ReplyDelete