Sunday, November 9, 2008

Frolic and play the Eskimo way...


Yea! It's snowy at the cabin!!

Since we'd heard the mountains got lots of snow recently, Chuck and I took Friday off from work last week and took ourselves and Keena up to the cabin. Her first real snow... and of course she loved it, as any Siberian Husky would.

Brr- it was just above 20 degrees when we arrived Friday midday, and lightly snowing. See the "jack frost fingers" hanging over the eaves:





We really enjoyed the quiet time together, and Keena was such a good pup. While eating a leisurely breakfast this morning, Chuck and I both agreed that this was the best behaved she's been so far at the cabin. Partly because she's more used to it there, knows the routine and what's expected of her... and I'm sure it's also partly because she gets so much of our attention up there. We're with her all the time except for when she's sleeping in her crate at night, and when she's outside on the lead. With all the snow to play in, she mostly wanted to be outside during the day, and when she did come inside, she was so tuckered out from frolicking in the snow she just crashed out on the carpet. Yesterday afternoon she even napped with me on the couch after our walk, the first time she's been mellow enough to do that. It was very relaxing.



Here's a picture of Rabbit Ears Pass, from our view walking along the upper road near the cabin. If you look closely at the top right side- you'll see the rock formation making the "rabbit ears" as the snowy clouds drift by.



And here's a pic of a man and his dog:


It was about 40 degrees Saturday, and a bit warmer today before we left. The sun finally came out, and I bet the snow melts in the next day or two. But it was lovely to have a winter landscape for a bit! It's still Autumn here in Denver, we haven't had a metro snowfall yet, although I've heard we might get one soon enough.


I've really been enjoying the fall colors on the trees as I drive to and from work... and on our afternoon walks with Keena. It's good to stop once in a while and notice the changing seasons, time seems to travel so fast, and I tend to get to caught up in worrying about tomorrow and not just letting God be in charge and paying more attention to the "now." The snowfall this weekend made me realize just how close winter is, and how much I need to slow down and focus on today more so I don't miss out on all the amazing things around me right now.


Especially moments like this!



Hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well. I've spent the last hour or so uploading a bunch of pictures from my camera (I had misplaced it for while, but it was under the couch cushion at the cabin!) so I have lots more to share from the last few months while I was "off the reservation"... so stay tuned!


Here's one last photo I just have to share... in contrast to all the snowy pics above. This is the flower bed in front of Pat's side of the duplex, I was so thrilled at how well it turned out this summer.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. oh how fun to take a weekend to a wintery wonderland with your hubby and pup!
    you are soo blessed Nicole!
    sooo fun!
    i love the pix of you and keena on the couch... i invision a cup of cocoa near you and a cracklin fire while the fluffy flakes fall! =)
    oh yes, and while chuck fans you and feeds you peeled grapes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! We've had snow too, but just endured stinkin' traffic taking the kids to school in it. Wish I could have enjoyed it the way you guys did! Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm training Keena as a vicious attack dog... see as she goes for my throat?! Don't be fooled by the wagging tail or the cute sleeping dog routine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! I can't wait for New Year's! I know it won't be as peaceful, but we'll all have fun together! I LOVE winter at the cabin...although the fall this year was pretty amazing also! OK...I just love the Colorado mountains in all seasons! And I love you guys! Thanks for sharing the pictures and your cabin with us!

    ReplyDelete