Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Before the bath

In Colorado, we tend to get some late Spring snowstorms that come in, drop several inches of heavy, wet snow, and then move off rather quickly. It's great for watering our newly-awakened spring lawn... but tends to make something of a mud-pen in the parts of our backyard that aren't covered in grass.

A few Mondays ago, I woke up to a gorgeous sight. The storm had snuck in overnight and let loose with snowflakes, and the city was just blanketed. In fact, it snowed for several more hours that morning, I think we ended up with about 5 inches all told.

(Oh, please pardon the reflection of the lamp in that picture. I took this shot at 5-something in the morning and it was too cold to go outside in bare feet! I guess there really are some lengths I just WON'T go to for a good picture, hahaha. )

Not being sure what the weather would be like, I kept Keena inside that morning, and headed off to work. At lunchtime, I zoomed back home so she could be outside for a bit. By then the skies were mostly clear and it was much warmer, so I thought it might be a good idea to leave her outside in the backyard while I was at work for the afternoon. That way she could play in the snow and have fun outside. At least, that was my plan.

Then I came home to this mud-ball of a dog!

Hmm, so it turns out that the really heavy, wet Spring snows also tend to melt rather fast... and in doing so, softens the earth quite a bit, so that digging is the MOST FUN EVER. There was a sizeable hole in the yard over by the well-head... and she was out-of-control hyper.

Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard at the sight of her when I got home, I think she was a little embarassed! But, we went on our afternoon walk anyway, with me giggling about it pretty much the whole way.

I had to pick Chuck up at the airport later that evening, so we didn't have time for a thorough bath. But Keena and I DID spend several minutes in the bathtub, washing the worst of the mud off.
I was kinda sorry to see mud-dog go, she was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment