Thursday, May 7, 2009

This is why Spring is my favorite season

Pat and I spent several hours last fall picking out bulbs for this Spring, and then of course there was the labor of actually planting them in the 2 front planters. Phew- a lot of work!

We weren't even sure how well the daffodils and tulips would do in the harsh cold. Also, it's pretty much squirrel territory on our block, and I know they will sometimes dig and take off with the bulbs. It seemed a little foolish to spend money on what might not even turn out to be worth it.

But we hoped for the best, and planted several dozen varieties of tulips and 50 or so king alfred daffodils in the two front planters that are closest to the street.

And now, several months later, yeah- they are all doing beautifully! I am so happy each day when I drive down the driveway heading to work, and see all the pretty colors greeting me at the street. The colorful flowers really brighten the yard, and they weathered all the late snowstorms nicely.

These sunny yellow daffodils are so sweet. Maybe this fall I'll add in some bi-colored yellow and white daffodils too. The flowers are spaced pretty far apart right now, because I know that as the years go by and they naturalize, they will be larger clumps of bulbs where now only one sits. So, while there's still room, I'm thinking I should take advantage and fill in with some contrasting colors. I'm also thinking of planting a bunch of blue grape muscari in with the yellow daffodils.

This orange and green tulip is quite striking, there are a few over in Pat's planter. I love how tulips first bloom looking one way, and then as the colors mature and develop, they sometimes turn out looking like an entirely different tulip! I'll have to check on this one again and see what it's turned out to be.

So, now that the Spring-ish weather has finally arrived, and we have hit the traditional last frost date (usually around Mother's Day weekend here) Pat and I are both getting antsy to get our hands in the dirt and start planting the garden!

This afternoon Chuck emailed me at work and said that Mom wanted to go to the nursery after I got home from work. Strangely enough, I was already planning to ask her if she was interested in going either this afternoon or tomorrow, so I readily agreed. :)

Chuck came along for the heavy lifting (cart pushing duties too). Here is our cart of flowers about half way through the shopping trip...


We went to O'Tooles garden center - they are our favorite nursery. They are family owned, have great selection of healthy plants, and very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Maybe not the least expensive place to get plants (there's always wal-mart's garden center for cheap plants,) but I know that the quality is a LOT better here. We have been really happy with their veggies, perennials and annuals over the last several years that we've been shopping here. And best of all, this evening O'Tooles was having their Spring Open House, with special sales (the clematis was 25% off!) guest speakers, lots of sweets and drinks, and even door prizes. It was a like a big garden party, the place was packed.



We are all set to spruce-up the front planters with snapdragons, daisies, pansies, violets, cosmos and even some pretty pink and purple petunias. (And as much alliteration as I can handle, apparently!)

Check back soon, I'll post some photos of the front planters all decked out with their Spring colors.

Hope you're all having a great week- and Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's this weekend! Thanks for visiting and we'll talk again soon.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment