Monday, March 23, 2009

Lawn Ornaments

Who needs to spend money decorating their front lawn? Not us!

Each Autumn the Canada Geese come down to Colorado for a visit. Our house is a couple blocks from a nice park with a pond... which is a big draw for the geese and there are several hundred hanging out there every day over the course of the long winter.

In the evenings, we watch them fly overhead as they leave the pond and search out lodging for the night. If we're out walking with Keena, she loves to watch them fly by, for sure their honking gets her attention.

Every once in a while the geese go on a "field trip", and wander down the street. This particular afternoon a few weekends ago- they happened to come across our songbird feeder, and invited all their friends to hang out for the afternoon. I think I counted about 20 geese on the front lawn at one point.


They didn't seem to mind the cars going by, and I even walked outside to snap a photo at one point, and I don't think any of the geese even got up from their lounging spots across the lawn.

Every once in a while some would wander off and more would show up. It's the only time this winter I've seen more than a couple at a time on our street... must've been a big convention or something!


Of course- the cats love to sit by the big front window in the living room and look out on the squirrels running around, and watch the sparrows and finches visiting the feeders. This particular afternoon they were both entranced by the geese parading around. Maybelle especially thought this was an amazing sight- and Belly sat on her perch watching them for hours! I joined her in her vigil, it was a Sunday afternoon and I had a good book to read, so I sat in the easy chair, and she up on her kitty scratch post, and we both enjoyed bird watching a bit.

As the afternoon sun began to wane, the geese started thinking about their evening plans. One goose stood and started honking while taking a few steps. Then several others joined in, and all of a sudden they flapped their wings a few times and just took off into the evening sky. Immediately the arrow flight formation was apparent. How do they determine who flies and in what order? It was truly amazing to see it up close... and their beating wings make a lot of noise!

The dozen or so geese left then decided it was time to leave as well, but they seemed to prefer to just mosey on down the street, no fanfare and beating of wings for this group. I was a little sad to see them go actually. I think the Canada Geese are really beautiful, and I love living in a part of the country they call home for several months each year. Now that Spring is upon us, they will be heading back to the great north here pretty soon (well... most of them at least.) And I for one will be a little sad to see them go.

5 comments:

  1. That's amazing. We tease our "goose" every time we see a flock of them anywhere that "there goes her family!" She used to think it was funny! Not too much anymore! Cool that you get to have them wandering around in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! Tell Goose I love her nickname, but I don't associate her with Canada Geese at all- she's MUCH cuter!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Canadian Geese! I just have pigeons and wild boar in my neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wild boar! Sweet! I just saw a special on Discovery called the Pig Bomb. How feral pig populations are exploding. They said that wild boar were making a comeback in Europe as well.

    ReplyDelete