Thursday, March 19, 2009

What's new

Hi All,

Since it's been sooooo long since I last posted, I thought I'd just update you all in a random stream-of-consciousness fashion.

So, Chuck is at the cabin right now. He and Bill drove to Kremmling this afternoon, picked up the two snowmobiles that were being repaired and took them up to the cabin. They are gonna hang out for a while, and head back sometime tomorrow. I'm sorta bummed that I have to work, and couldn't go up with them, but I'm glad that Chuck and Bill get to hang out.

He called tonight to say it was in the high 40's there today, and there's definitely less snow up there than the last time we were up. But plenty still- the snow is still about level to the deck, which means at least 4 ft on the ground.

In other news... I really like my "new" job. I still work for SRC, but moved to the transportation department last fall. It was a really good move for me, I love working in this department. And we've been blessed with some new federal/state/county grants and are able to hire more drivers, purchase a few more new buses, and even upgrade our scheduling software and get new computers this year. All this even though the economy is in such turmoil! I think it's because the need for senior services is so great that our local and national legislatures are doing the best they can to fund services even when budgets are tight. I'm so pleased to be a part of an organization that does such good work for seniors in our community.

The gal that I trained to replace me in my former department came upstairs to chat with me for a few minutes today. Just in that short time of discussing some of the ongoing issues in my old department made me realize once again just how happy I am to have taken this new opportunity. God gave me the courage to take the risk and take this position, and it is good. :)

Speaking of work- I know I mentioned in December 08 that Chuck had been laid off. Well... things are getting better for us. He's been doing some consulting work drafting for a small surveying firm in Evergreen. Luckily he can work from home a lot, and only needs to drive up there once a week or so. It hasn't been very steady work as of late... but any work is better than unemployment, so Chuck is grateful for the opportunity.

Having him home all the time has added a new dynamic to our lives. He is around to help out with stuff around the house so much more, and I know the dog (and cats) like not being alone all day. So there are definitely some perks to working for yourself. The "honey-do" list gets checked off practically as fast as I can think of more items to add to it! Hopefully as the year progresses he will have a few more contracts and the workflow will be steady and busy. We've certainly gotten used to making do with what we have though!

It's nearly Spring again, my favorite season of the year. I love seeing the budding leaves and flowers again. Pat and I planted several dozen tulip and daffodil bulbs in the front planters last fall, and they are just beginning to poke their heads up to get some sunshine. I'm excited to see how it all turns out, and I'll be sure and take pictures so you can see as well.

Chukani are already planning our vegetable garden for this year also. We are going to expand again, and plant crops of onions and potatoes along with everything from last year. We are also planning to plant more roses and flowers in another bed in the back yard, to reclaim some of the lost spaces back by the fence. Of course, there is a big concern about how to keep Keena from damaging the garden. She has been re-enacting the movie "Holes" in the back yard for the last several months... so there may be some fence-building in our future garden plans as well.

I've been considering joining our church's choir. They have a wonderful music program at Bear Valley where we've been attending for the last couple years or so. The big choir only sings a couple Sunday's a month, and does some really great music for all the major holidays. But I'm currently in a women's bible study that meets at the church the same night as choir rehearsal, so choir will have to wait awhile. Right now I am enjoying just singing my heart out from the pew each Sunday, so that will have to do for now. :)

Ok- I think I've rambled on long enough. Sorry the blog doesn't get updated too often. I blame facebook... but then my other friends who keep their blogs current AND are on fb lots...well, they pretty much put me to shame. So there it is- I've posted again... (finally!) and I'll try to keep you all up to date more often. Thanks for not giving up on me!

Take Care!
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment